I currently just finished a book called "Are You There G-d It Is Me, Margaret". The author's name is Judy Blume she is a popular author that I have unfortunately not read many of her books. In this book the main character is a protagonist named Margaret Simon.
Margaret has the conflict of every girl going through their changes. She is almost 12 and has an amazing secret club with other friends who are girls. They talk about boys for example how cute Philip Leroy is (the cutest boy in sixth grade), bras, and also getting their first period. One passage that I love she wrote on May 25th is a letter to her teacher named Mr. Benedict , "Dear Mr. Benedict, I have conducted a yearlong experiment in religion. I have not come to any conclusions about what religion I want to be when I grow up--If I want to be any special religion at all. I have read three books on this subject. They are: Modern Judaism, A History of Christianity, and Catholicism--Past and Present. I went to Church at the services at the first Presbyterian Church of Far brook. I went to the United Methodist Church of Far brook on Christmas Eve. I attended Temple Israel of New York city on Rosh Hashana, which is a Jewish holiday. I went to confession at Saint Bartholomew Church, but I had to leave the Confessional because I didn't know what to say. I have not tried being a Buddhist or a Moslem because I do not know any people of that religions. I have not really enjoyed my religious experiments very much and I don't think I'll make up my mind one way or the other for a long time. I don't think a person can decide to be a certain religion just like that. It's like having to choose you own name. You think about it a long time and then you keep changing your mind. If I should ever have children I will tell them what religion they are so they can start learning about it at an early age. Twelve is late very late to learn. Sincerely, Margaret Ann Simon."
Before reading this book I skimmed and Scanned and found letters, lots of talking, and no titles for the chapters or TOC. During reading I used reading back and reviewing also relating it to my life. Last I did two after reading strategies thinking what the books main idea was and thinking about what I read. The genre of this book is Realistic Fiction because it can happen to a real person. A few characters are Moose Freed - Evan's friend and a boy Margaret takes an interest in, Nancy, Gretchen, and Margaret the girls in her club. Those are some important characters. This all happened in the suburbs during the school year. The conflict is man vs. self because she is wants to have her body mature. The tone of this book was happy and the mood was happy also, the theme is changes, and the point of view is first person because Margret herself is talking about her feelings from her own perspective.
I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 because it was detailed and I can relate to it. I would recommend this to 11-14 year old girls.
Sincerely,
Gabriella Goldstein :)
702
Dear Gabi,
ReplyDeleteYou had a nice readers journal I like how you put the picture of the book on the bottom great idea. You did not capitalize and underline the title. Do you recommend this book to girls? Do you recommend this book to the whole class? If you were margaret how would you yourself solve the conflict? What do you think about the antagonist?
I saw some mistakes next time you do the readers journal follow the rubrics you did the strategies on the bottom instead of the top. You also did not include figurative language. Do you think the letter she wrote is nice? Do you like how the conflict was solved? I am looing towards to see your next reader journal nice job:)
Sincerely, Bar Peretz
Dear Gabi, Your blog really interested me. I think i might read that book, But I think you could of talked more about the book, and less about the letter. Your strategies were very good i will defiantly use them. Would you recommend this book to me? In what ways did you relate to the book? who was or where the antagonist(s)? Would you use these strategies with other books? Was there any figurative language? Was there a major problem in the book, if so how was it resolved? Did you rate this book 5/5 because of enjoyment, or what it represented? I think you could have used more punctuation. . . Sincerely, Shianne Salazar
ReplyDeleteDear Bar,
ReplyDeleteI would recommend this book to girls because it is about a girl going through her "changes" and I think boys would not like this book. Thank you for reminding me to capitalize my title and under line it. I am not as strong as Margret was because she handled her issue great, I on the other hand would have cried and asked for advice from someone.
Next time I will make sure to follow the rubric better. I think the way she solved the conflict was smart and brave of her. Also, the letter she wrote in my opinion was heart touching.I was not able to include figurative langue because I wasn't able to find.
-Gabi :)
Dear Shianne,
ReplyDeleteThank you I love to use those strategies. I hope you can get around to reading the book it was great. I would for sure recommend this book to you. This book related to me by I am a girl and in school. I rated the book 5 out of 5 because it represented something great and because of enjoyment.
There was not really an antagonist because this book was about her and her going through girl stuff. The conflict was resolved by her getting her sign of she will mature soon! Sadly, there were no figurative langue.
-Gabi :)